Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Life Expectancy Without Meds
Oct 21, 2009

I have a question of curiousity? How long would a person live if they choose not to take medication? I have a friend that's currently undetectable but I know the day will come when he will need to take medication. Hypothetically Wondering! He as often said that he will not take them, how long could I tell him he would possible live and what would/should he look for with respect to illness and fatality?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question.

Unfortunately before treatments became available we had alot of experience with this issue.

Statistics look at the average survival across many people...there are some who die quickly and some who can live for many years. The overall survival from infection to death was about 13 years before treatment. The most important measurement to determine a person's risk of getting sick or dying in the short term is their current CD4 count. One report from The HOPS study showed that people who did not take any treatment for HIV until their CD4 count dropped below 200 were more than 10 times likley to die than people who started treatment with their CD4 counts above 350. Another study estimates that a 25 year old person with HIV without effective treatment could expect to live for 8 more years. With treatment this would be increased to at least another 39 years!!

It is common for a person to resist taking medication out of fear or that taking the pills reminds them that they have HIV. The first thing is that he has to come to terms with his infection and start to take charge and fight back...that might be liberating for him...and also life saving.

Best, Joe

Previous
The right time to start medication
Next
Atypical Response to Atripla

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.