Atripla rash.

Hi I had been on Truvada and Sustiva with no complications. After my Cd-4 cout went up, my doctor switched me to Atripla. Afetr a few weeks I developed a serious rash on my back and it did not seem to be going away. It also gave me sleep disorders and hallucinations. I have reverted to the Truvada and Sustiva taking them 1 hour apart as I use to. My question is, Atripla is a combination of Sustiva and Truvada, so why am I getting these side effects with it as oppose to none taking the pills separately?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for a very interesting question.

It is true that Atripla is made out of Truvada and Sustiva, but it also contains other "inactive" substances that bind the pill together and add color, etc. There are a few people like yourself who do fine on the separate pills but cannot take the combo. As long as you are OK with 2 pills instead of 1 pill a day then that it fine.

Hope things get back on track.

Joe

want to more about HIV
German man cured of HIV-AIDS !!!