NOT ON HIV TREATMENT

Hello,i was diagonised of HIV when i was 20 weeks pregnant december 2009,was on ARV'S for the pregnancy my viral load was not detected at 32weeks and CD4 was 764.My partner of four years who is also the father of my baby is negative why cant i carry on with the ARV's since i was stopped from taking them the day i gave birth?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question.

There is no reason why the medication could not have been continued after you gave birth.

This is a decision that has to be made between you and your doctors.

You certainly needed the meds during pregnancy to protect your baby from infection (and I hope that s/he is doing well). Since your CD4 count is high the benefit to you of being on treatment now is less clear since you are not in immediate risk for HIV related disease but if you are motivated to stay on treatment, have no side effects and will not miss any doses than you should discuss it with your doctor.

Best,

Joe

Follow-up to Confused About When To Start Meds?
Type II meds