Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

recieving oral sex
Oct 8, 2009

I am not a drug user I have never had unprotected vaginal or anal sex, I I dont engage in anal sex of any kind, I have on a few occassions given oral sex, (vaginal) my real question is, I have received oral sex on a number of occassions. What is my risk of getting HIV or HEP B, C?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question.

Discussions of risk of acquiring STDs and HIV always have to be kept in context. For some people even a theoretical risk (that is a possibility even without a known described case) may be enough to avoid that activity and for others it may require a higher risk to change a behavior. Every person has to make that decision for themselves.

While oral sex has less risk than anal or vaginal sex it does carry some risk. There have been reports of HIV being transmitted through receptive oral sex (performing fellatio or cunnilingus on a male or female partner who has HIV infection). This is because the virus can be carried in the semen, precum and vaginal fluids and can enter through sore in the mouth or gingivitis in the gums.

Risk of spreading acquiring HIV by having oral sex performed on you would be theoretical (possible but not yet reported) risk if the receptive partner had bleeding gums but would be of much lower risk situation.

In general risk of acquiring hepatitis B is about 10 times higher than HIV and Hepatitis C is about 10 times less likley to be spread than HIV. So the risks again would be small (very much so for hepatitis C) but possible.

Hope this helps to keep you safe.

Joe

Previous
Side effects after a year of being on Atripla??
Next
Follow-up to Confused About When To Start Meds?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.