Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

alternative medicine
Oct 4, 2009

What are your thoughts on the continual lack of attention and sometimes sudden persecution of passionate health care advocates and health professions alike, that work in the field of alternative HIV treatment? I dont think that it would be plausible for anyone directly involved in the struggle against HIV to admit to not hearing about this apparent and blatant suppression of research into these treatments. In Africa they are now beginning to try and gain a little autonomy and independence away from the W.H.O and the dubiously intrusive FDA and are looking at every option available to not only treat HIV but cure the disease. Can I please have your educated opinion on why some of these seemingly credible and sometimes unprofitable initiatives by people in developed and developing countries are not being investigated further. Although I am not considedring stopping medication I am curious and intrigued by some of the, hard to get to and receiving very little coverage, treatment developments. Do you have any suggestions regarding alternative therapy. Thank you, Disgruntled.

Response from Dr. Young

Dear disgruntled,

I tend to disagree with you- there are many well-designed and scientifically creditable studies on "alternative medicine"-- indeed, many of the alternatives that you speak of often wind up as part of conventional medical recommendations or medications. This is not to say that every molecule's activity has been discovered, nor that we shouldn't try to investigate such claims carefully.

Exploration in novel therapies, whether they be purified chemicals or mixtures of herbs should still stand the test of scientific methodology, less we return to the days of rectal ozone therapy for HIV. I'll stand by the WHO and FDA (for all of their shortcomings) for protecting communities from false claims or worse, spending very stretched resources on unproven or unsafe medications.

By the way, our US government (with all of it's shortcomings) does invest a whole NIH division, the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine to your very question.

BY

Previous
Is red marine algae safe to take with HIV meds?
Next
from undetectable VL to slightly elevated

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.