Is red marine algae safe to take with HIV meds?

I have checked all the forums and cannot find any info on red marine algae or sulfated polysaccharides.

I'm writing to find out if there are any known interactions between RMA (red marine algae, sulfated polysaccharides) and Atripla (my meds) or any other HIV meds?

I battle chronic HSV outbreaks, and in addition to acyclovir for treatment and prophylaxis I have started using an RMA ointment on my penis. I'd like to step it up a notch and take oral RMA capsules, but I don't want to risk HAART drug resistance or drug interactions or something going horribly wrong like increased viral load or decreased CD4 as a direct result of taking oral RMA. Is there a possibility that using sulfated polysaccharides for HSV could negatively effect the efficacy of my HIV meds or cause HIV mutations or resistance in my blood?

Also, to clarify, Atripla is working very well me for the HIV; I am not planning to take the RMA for HIV, only for the herpes.

Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Joshua

Hello Joshua,

Your search is correct. It's probably ok, and polysaccharides tend not to be heavily metabolized by the liver. But, to the best of my knowledge, there's little data on the potential drug-drug interactions between RMA and HIV medications. Further, I'm not convinced that there's much benefit.

If it were my body, I'd stick to the known medications and safety data on interactions.

I hope this helps and wish you well, BY

New labs results (should I be happy or concerned?)
alternative medicine