viral load and t cell count

my viral load and t cell count keep going up and down may 2009 2900vl and 320 t cell , july 2009 undetectable and 355, aug 2009 420vl and 328. i go back for more blood work oct 2009. what should i talk to my doctor about changing meds or do retest. what do you suggest

Hello and thanks for your post.

A single detectable viral load like yours is usually not clinically, nor virologically significant-- we call them blips. Indeed, viral loads that are in the low 100's are often either lab errors or the result of minor activation of the immune system (such as vaccinations, herpes outbreaks, minor infections). Provided that you otherwise feel well and have been adherent to your medications, all that really needs to be done is to repeat the viral load test in a couple of weeks.

I certainly wouldn't be changing medications unless a repeat test confirms the viral load (and probably not until a level of 500-1000 is confirmed and a HIV drug resistance test is obtained).

I hope this helps, BY

T-Cell/CCR-5 diversion
recently diagnosed..., no need a genotype???