Is this PEP regimen OK?

After a recent potential exposure I was prescribed Truvada one tablet daily for 20 days and Kaletra two tablets daily for 10 days. So both medications had a dispense/supply of 20 tablets each.

This is kind of an unusual regimen that I have seen unlike in this forum where I heard of one medication like either combivir or truvada daily for 28 days (so 28 tabs in total). But this was presribed at the Northwestern University medical centre in Chicago which is among the best in the country so I am assuming they know what they are doing. What is your opinion on this regimen? Many thanks for the help and support you provide to people here.

Hello and thanks for your post.

While many prescribe two NRTIs like Combivir or Truvada pills you've listed, if it were my exposure, I'd want a boosted protease inhibitor too. So, assuming that your exposure was a significant one (difficult to define sometimes), then I agree with the folks at Northwestern with the Truvada+Kaletra regimen they've given you.

Best of luck to you, BY

Mensturation and HIV
HIV PREVENTION