|Mensturation and HIV
Oct 2, 2009
Dear sir, I had unprotected intercourse with a girlfriend 32hrs ago and she was on her periods. she has confirmed to me that she did a HIV test 3weeks ago which was negative. Please can you advise me on whether to start PEP?
| Response from Dr. Young
Hmmm, tough question.
Clearly exposure to blood (menstrual or otherwise) increases the risk of HIV infection; but only if the person is HIV infected (HIV+).
If you're not sure about your GFs risks (ie., not sure how reliable a negative report is), then I'd recommend PEP. If in doubt (and your post suggests this), at least talking to your healthcare provider about your risks and follow up plans would be in order.
Be well, BY
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Muscle Ache After Eating Food Made By Someone With HIV Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Pain In Urethra After Touching A Bloody Scab Worried I Have
- Painful Urination After Needle Stick Worried I Have HIV
- Sore Throat After Licking Rectum Worried I Have HIV
- Trouble Urinating After Drinking After Someone Worried I Have HIV
- White Bumps On Penis After Vaginal Sex Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.