Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Should I Switch or not?
Oct 2, 2009

I have been on triomune 30 for the past 7 months but getting severe neuropathy,i shuffle when i walk and cant feel the soles of my feet.My doctor has prescribed neuro-enzymes and suggested switching my meds to a combination of aluvia and truvada.There is no evidence of drug resistance with my current meds.I am concerned because I would like to know if this now moves me to second-line treatment and what it means for me.I am in an african country where ARV drug supply is dependent on donor funding.

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thank you for your post from Africa.

I agree with your doctors in that your neuropathy is likely caused (or at least made worse) because of the stavudine (d4T) part of the Triomune (d4T+3TC+nevirapine) that you're currently taking. Therefore a switch to an alternative regimen makes a lot of sense and should (1) prevent the neuropathy from worsening and (2) hopefully get things to improve.

There are multiple ways to switch your medications. If you were my patient here in the US (understanding that different countries have different treatment protocols and available medications), I'd consider continuing your 3TC and switching the d4T to any one of the other nucleosides (except ddI which can also cause neuropathy)- AZT, tenofovir or abacavir. If nevirapine was available as a single drug, then you could essentially continue 3TC+nevirapine with a new third drug.

In many African (or other resource-limited) countries, Truvada (tenofovir+FTC) and Aluvia (lopinavir/ritonavir, we call Kaletra) are indeed called second-line treatments, though here in the US and Europe, this is often used as a first-line treatment. The principle issue (and part that relegates these components to second line treatment) is that they are considerably more expensive to purchase than the so-called first-line medications.

I'd certainly think that the Truvada+Aluvia regimen would be very effective and help to mitigate the nerve pain that you suffer from. You might consider speaking to your doctor about these varied options.

I hope this helps and wish you well.

BY

Previous
HAART and a herbal therapy for candida
Next
About aspen lamzid

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.