Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CAN WE ASSUME CHILDRENS ARE HIV NEGATIVE
Sep 27, 2009

MY CLOSEST FRIEND DIAGANOSED HIV POSITIVE,DUE TO SOCIAL STIGMA, WE ONLY KNOWS THE FACT (NOT CONFIRMED BY ANTOHER CHECK-UP)HE HAS FOUR CHILDRENS, FIRST TWO ARE MARRIED GIRLS. ONE TWENTY THREE YEARS OLD, HAVING ONE CHILD, 2 YEARS OLD. THE OTHER GIRL ALSO MARRIED, AGED 20 YEARS, NOW SHE IS PRIGNANT. THE THIRD GILD STUDYING, AGED 19. THE LAST BOY AGED 10, HE IS ALSO STUDYING. ALL ARE HEALTHY AND THERE IS NO DISEASE OR ANY HEALTH PROBLEMS. MY CLOSEST FRIEND HIV FACT FOUND JUST ONLY ONE YEAR BACK. NOW HE AGED 51-52. MY QUESTION IS IF THESE CHILDRENS HAVE HIV WHEN THEY BORN?, THESE CHILDREN WITHOUT TREATMENT WILL STAY HEALTHY AT THE AGE OF 23,20,19 AND 10?. IN THESE CASE CAN WE ASSUME THESE CHILDRENS ARE NOT BORN WITH HIV? AND MY CLOSEST FRIEND'S WIFE ALSO HEALTHY UNTIL TODAY WITHOUT ANY MUCH HEALTH PROBLEMS. SHE IS NOW AROUND 38-40.FROM THIS SITE IFTSELF I HAVE SEEN ONE ANSWER - IT SAYS IF CHILD BORN WITH HIV, WITHOUT TREATMENT, HAVE A POSSIBILITY TO DIE WITHIN THREE YEARS OF AGE BECAUSE HIV CELLS WILL STOP IMMUNE CELLS TO GROW. DUE TO SOCIAL STIGMA AND THE TWO ARE MARRIED AND LIVING HAPPYLY AND WE ARE FROM ASIAN COUNTRY WE CANNOT GO FOR ALL CHILDREN FOR CHECKUP WITHOUT BOTHERING SOCIEY. PLS. ANSWER SIR

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for your post.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

It would be strikingly unusual for a child born with HIV to have no symptoms into their 20s (or 10 for that matter); if your friend's wife is HIV negative, it's impossible for her to have transmitted the virus to their children. So, it is safe to assume that they are HIV negative.

In our country (US), the government recommends testing for all persons between ages 13-64- hence the individuals that you refer to would fall under this general recommendation.

I hope this helps.

BY

Previous
Atripla possibly exposed to heat, but still experience side effects
Next
which medication work best with KIVEXA

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.