hiv positive,and my cd4 count is 500

i have questions that bother me and i would like you to please help me out,my partner is negative and im hiv positive w are trying to have a baby and i dont want to infect him what options do we have to fall pregnant?is it reliable to use DIY methods like using a syringe to squirt the sperm?will my baby be born with hiv antibodies too

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question.

Since you are positive and your male partner is negative, it is less problematic than the reverse. His sperm can be introduced (inseminated) without having unprotected sex. So there is no risk to him during the conception.

Protecting the fetus from infection will rely on keeping your viral load suppressed. Certain meds should not be used during pregancy, so you must proceed under the guideance of your doctors. Also as the baby develops it can be at risk for birth defefcts of low birth weight if it is exposed to certain medicines suring development (especially in the first third of the pregnancy). Stopping your meds during that time may be even more risky since it will let your viral load rise which could also expose the fetus.

Keeping your virus undetectable is the most effective way to keep HIV from your baby. Your baby will test "HIV positive" on the antibody test because s/he will pick up antibody from your blood. After a few months that will go away. New tests to measure viral levels in the baby are more sensitive at diagnosing HIV in a newborn. Transmission of HIV to a baby can largely be prevented now with medication if you are carefully monitored during pregnancy.

It is important for you to sit down with your doctor and with a obstetrician who is experienced working with women with HIV to help you plan to have a safe and successful pregnancy. I am glad you want to get on with your life.

Hope all goes well.

Joe

Why A Vaccine, Not A Cure?
Reducing medication