Restarting ARV

Dear Sir, I was on antiretrovirals for 2 years, Efavirenz and Truvada. My CD4 went up steadily from 105 to 500. Then I travelled and took ill and had the ARVs withdrawn. I'm now quite healthy. Please what are my options for resuming ARVs? Thanks for your advice. Regards. Chris

Response from Dr. McGowan

Chris,

If your viral load was undetecatble when you stopped your meds, and you stopped them all at the same time (that is you did not go through a period of time when you were missing doses before your stopped), then you could go back on your original combination (or use Atripla which contains the same medications). That is unless the reason you got sick was from a side effect of the meds, in which case a change would be in order...but if you stopped with suppressed virus then you should have many treatment options available. Best, Joe

candida help
Follow-up to pneumonia question and 3-4 days of HIV meds