Is this combination of PEP effective?

Dear Doctors,

Please help me - I am feeling very worried now. I had sex with a (probably) HIV-positive individual and 17 hours after exposure, I was prescribed these drugs and took them: Combivir + Viread (Tenofovir). However, I read that these 3 drugs are all of the same class and may not be that effective. Is this correct?

Should I continue taking these drugs or should I switch? Since I only took these drugs within 24 hours from exposure, does it mean that these actions which I took are ineffective in protecting me against the HIV virus?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question.

Yes, combivir and viread is an acceptable combination for PEP. It is the standard treatment in New York State. That recommendation may be altered if a person is exposed to a person who is known to have HIV with a drug resistant virus. In that case the treatment would be based on the resistance tests from the patients medical records.

The key for PEP to be effective is that it be taken as soon as possible, but no later than 36-48 hours after a possible exposure.

Best.

Joe

Insurance soon to run out
medications