I dont receive enough medical attention

I started drugs as from 2004 i.e Stocrin, stavudine and lamivudine, i have never change my medication since than. the problem is that i have lost the shape my arms are thin and my legs i have huge tummy and small breast and this is hurting. is there a way of controlling or treating my situation? is it safe to change a medication ive seen my fried changing the medication and her body resisted that and she passed away.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks dor your question.

Since you have only been on one combination and, I assume, your viral load is undetectable you should be bale to make a change to try to avoid further body shape changes.

Medication changes for tolerbility or side effect issues are usually safe as long as your virus has not developed resistance. Since you have been stable and controlled for 5 years it is unlikely that your virus has developed any resistance so a switch should be fine from the resistance point of view. Of course any new medication may have it's own possible side effects which you should review before changing. You should discuss your concerns with your doctor.

Good luck,

Joe

CD4 vs Viral load
HIV by breast feeding