Just diagnosed at 41 y/o; CD4 dropping as well as VL

Hi, as an irony I work in the HIV field, I have manage to keep myself negative for all my 20's and 30's until a condom broke and no PEP to reach out. Now my CD4 dropped from 489 to 389 but also, my VL dropped from 38,333 copies to 33,000. My question is, is taking medication coming? and also, I cant disclosed in my job, because after 3 years in the field I would look reckless, any suggestion. Thanks Seroconverted after all this years

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question.

Your story is very important because it shows that this infection can happen to anyone.

Starting treatment when your counts are in the mid-300s is probabaly best. You can even start sooner if you are ready. The change in viral load from 38,000 to 33,000 is within the "error" of the test and does not reflect a real difference.

You do not have to disclose your status at work if you choose not to. That is completely up to you. There are plenty of treatments that can be given once a day and would not interrupt your daily activities.

Best,

Joe

Don't want to take Atripla
hiv, tb and menigitus