Don't want to take Atripla

Hi - I am just starting meds and have a prescription for Truvada and Isentress. To me this seemed like the best choice since I am very nervous about the CNS side effects associated with the Sustiva in Atripla.

Even though it is not a once daily regimen, I am hoping it will be much more tolerable.

Is there another combination you would recommend over the Truvada and Isentress?

Thanks,

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question.

The first decision is to pick a combination that will work against your virus..that would be determined by a drug resistance test.

If all drugs are available then the best choice will be made on a person by person basis. Some people like the once a day Atripla and are not worried about the possible neurologic side effects and for others that may be very disturbing. Some wouldn't mind taking a pill twice a day if it has the fewest tolerability effects. There are other possible first line treatments (such as using a "boosted" protease inhibitor), but each has it's pluses and minuses.. The one you are on has done very well in clinical trials and should be fine.

Hope it works well for you,

Joe

hiv test
Just diagnosed at 41 y/o; CD4 dropping as well as VL