roommate took my meds instead of vitamins

Hi, i put my extra pills (zidolam and efavirentz)in the bottles from vitamins(centrum and something)2 monthes ago.Just found that my roommate took one of each every day within the last 2-3 weeks...Should i/he warry about this?What happens to not hiv person taking zidolam and efavirentz?Im very scary to tell him about my hiv status and my pills,but if its dengerous for him ill do it asap.Thank you in advance N from Ukraine

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question.

If a person who is not HIV infected takes ant-HIV medication, unless they have been exposed to HIV and are using it to prevent transmission, they will only have the potential for side effects without any benefit.

Zidloam (zidovudine + lamivudine) can cause nausea, vomiting and anemia in the short-term. Efavirenz can cause a rash, or neurologic symptoms, dizziness and unusual dreams. Liver problems can occur, especially if he is infected with hepatitis. Of course it would be advisable to tell him so that he can have it checked out, but under no circumstances should he be allowed to take any more doses.

The other side of the coin is that you may end up short on your meds and can risk failure of your treatment since all these doses are missing. Why did you have so much medication lying around?

Joe

Atripla and Isentress taken at same time
viral load undetectable