Is it ok to take expired Valtrex?

Everytime i have fever or get sick I get cold sores... one doctor gave me some valtrex but is already expired (January 2009), is it ok to still take it?

Tnx

Hello and thanks for your post.

My pharmacology and pharmacy friends say that it's generally not a good idea to take expired medications unless there's no alternative (ie., getting a refill).

If it were me, I'd probably ask my healthcare provider for a new prescription. If the money or copayment were the issue, I'd ponder using the lesser expensive (and generic), though more frequently dosed acyclovir.

Be well, BY

undectable
Atripla and hunger