|Is it ok to take expired Valtrex?
Sep 19, 2009
Everytime i have fever or get sick I get cold sores... one doctor gave me some valtrex but is already expired (January 2009), is it ok to still take it?
Response from Dr. Young
Hello and thanks for your post.
My pharmacology and pharmacy friends say that it's generally not a good idea to take expired medications unless there's no alternative (ie., getting a refill).
If it were me, I'd probably ask my healthcare provider for a new prescription. If the money or copayment were the issue, I'd ponder using the lesser expensive (and generic), though more frequently dosed acyclovir.
Be well, BY
Atripla and hunger
- Can A Blood Test Tell You If You Have An Std?
- How Does Cervical Cancer Affect Your Reproductive System?
- Is It Possible To Have Sores On You Private Part Without It Being An Std?
- Can You Get Hiv Eating Contaminated Blood?
- Does HIV Cause High Blood Pressure?
- How Long Does HIV Virus Survive Outside The Body?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.