treatment and Bactrim

A month ago,July 2009, my doctor told me my cd4 was 183 and viral load was 35000. He started me on Bactrim 3 times a week and said to start Atripla 7 days after that. So I have been taking Bactrim for 4 weeks and Atripla for 3 weeks. He told me today to continue with the Bactrim 3 times a week for the next 3 months with the Atripla until my next visit and new lab results. Is it ok to be on Bactrim for 4 months? I am doing ok with Bactrim and Atripla so far. He said I had a wild virus which was good as far as treatment was concerned. I am hoping that the virus will be suppressed and CD4 increasing when I return to see him. My primary care physician said all my lab results were in the normal range...WBC, RBC, PSA, colesterol was 139. blood sugar ok and blood pressure ok. Any comments about the amount of time on Bactrim? Also, sometimes after I take my Atripla I want a little fruit or snack. Didn't you say that was ok? Thanks for your help.

Hello and thanks for your post.

With a CD4 count below 200 you should be on Bactrim to prevent PCP until your CD4 count is confirmed above 200-- usually this takes several months.

I generally don't place a specific time line for this, but rather use your lab values to determine when it's safe to stop.

It's ok to take your Atripla with a little food- particularly if you're tolerating the medication already.

Hope this helps, BY

Began treatment with Atripla
Meeting Prescription Assistance Requirements