Norvir not refrigerated

Taking Norvir as a booster for 2 years and have not been refrigerating it, I've gotten ahead of myself on monthly deliveries of meds from a mail order pharmacy so when I take the capsules they are already a couple of months old and have been sitting on the shelf in med cabinet. I've heard that as long as the capsules are intact..they are fine....is that true?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question. we are discussing matters of potency. The best effects are obtained when drugs are most potent, they can be more reliable that way. Norvir can be kept out of the refrigerator and retain its potency as long as it is used up within one month and the temperature is not highre than 77F/25C. So the effects are a matter of time and temperature. That being said if you go beyond that date or above that temperature the medicine doesn't immediately go to zero potency. As long as your viral load has been suppressed there should be no problem from the past, but to avoid any future issues keep the extra bottles in the fridge, especialy in warmer months and use up each bottle within the month.

Best, Joe

Epzicom - Combivir
shingles virus