I want to have a baby.

My husband and I are both HIV+. We have been on meds since 2001. I'm 28 years old. We want to have a baby. My cd4 count is 450 at the moment and viral load <50. I've got a couple of questions.

1. Will my baby be born hiv+? (I know I won't be able to breastfeed and c-section birth) 2. Will pregnancy have a negative impact on my health? 3. Will the meds have a negative impact on the fetus?( We're on Triomune 30. It contains Lamivudien , Stavudien and Nevirapien.) 4. I've got HPV as well. Will this have an impact on the baby?

Thank you.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thank you for your questions. Given the fact that your viral load is currently below the level of detection and, hopefully, with ongoing adherence to your HIV medications, this remains the case at the time of delivery, your likelihood of having a baby who will become infected with HIV is extremely low. Indeed, you may not even require a C-Section on the grounds of your HIV infection. With regard to the pregnancy being injurious to your health, I would speak to your HIV provider but I feel that given your robust CD4 count, it is unlikely that your planned pregnancy is going to pose a problem. You should discuss your HIV regimen with your HIV provider particularly with regard to first trimester exposure of HIV medications and your ongoing use of stavudine. But speak to your doctor first about these matters. HPV should not complicate either your pregnancy or pose a special problem for your baby. Your obstetrican should be made aware of your history of HPV. Best, Joe

second line regimen
words of hope