Is Ecomer safe?

Hello, I`ve been positive for 2 years and I`m taking Ecomer (capsules with shark liver oil). The manufacturer is pharmaceutical company Huskvarna from Sweden. I`ve been taking one capsule a day for one year and a half (recomendation is from 1 till 6 capsules a day) and total content of each capsule is 250mg shark liver oil (this amount contains 50mg of alkyglycerols which is belived to improve imune system and raise T cells). I am not on therapy yet (CD4 are 395) and last appointment I asked my doctor about this product and he told me that it is waste of money since he thinks it doesn`t help in any way but also that it isn`t harmful since many his patients (even many on ARV treatment) take it for years. Now I am worried since I read recently that "immune boosters" could be dangerous with hiv positive people. Is this product safe? I've been researching everywhere but couldn`t find an answer. Thank you for all your work here!

Hello and thank you for your post.

I tend to agree with your doctor.

There's little to no safety or effectiveness data on this product, never mind among persons living with HIV. Your research on Ecomer is about as good as mine, since there's nothing really in the scientific literature to help. Given that, I'd have a very skeptical view of the product.

BY

When Will My Meds Fail Me?
Fasting in Ramadan