Stopped my meds

I was diagnosed in 2000 I started medication in 2007 things were going well, I recently stopped taking my medications due to depression, lost of job, insurance and the list goes on..my question is should i just continue my meds ..or does stopping the meds make it worst and now I may have to take something else..

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question. The answer is: it depends. IF you had an undetectable viral load and were completely adherent to your meds and then suddenly stopped them all at once, that would be less risky as far as loosing treatments due to drug resistance. In that case your old coctail may work just fine. IF, on the other hand, you were missing alot of doses, especially if your virus was not undetectable, than your virus may have had the opportunity to build up resistance and new treatment may be needed. You should dscuss this with your health care provider.

Best, Joe

about my medication
Cross-Resistance