My 12 month old baby

Hi Dr. Joe,

First, I'd like to thank you very much for your previous advise, I really appreciate it. Now, I've had my 3rd lab test, and I have a few questions about my baby. I took HIV DNA by PCR and HIV -1 Abs on the 36th and 56th day after exposure, both negative (I had swolen glands when I took the second PCR test) Finally, I also just took the Elisa test at 12 weeks and 4 days, and it came negative. (I'm just starting to feel my glands swolen again)

I dont know if my baby is infected because I breastfeed for 1 month after exposure, then stopped. He's also been sick with fever, swolen glands, running noise and a rash on his back for more than a month now. The doctor diagnosed him with a throat infection and then an ear infection and now he has a throat infection again. I asked him to test my baby for HIV, and he said there was not reason since I wasnt positive yet. My questions are: 1)My baby is scheduled to have his vaccinations for MMR which is Measles and Rubella, Varicella and Prevnar next week when he reaches 1 year old. Is this safe to put the vaccinations on him even though I dont know if he is infected? 2) I know I still need to refain from breastfeeding and need to retest at 6 month which I'll do. But, I'd like to know what porcentage of people become HIV positive after 3 months being negative?

Thank you again Dr. Joe.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thank you for the follow-up and the good news about your and your baby's test results.

It is especially relavent that the PCR test was negative up to almost 2 months after exposure (and likely over 1 month after any PEP medication you may havE used) at a time when you had some non-specific symtoms. This is very reassuring that you will likely remain negative.

You should not delay your baby's vaccinations. Your doctor is correct, since you have been negative you cannot spread HIv to your baby.

Best, Joe

medications
new on meds still decectable after 16 weeks why ???