General Research Question

Dear Doctor ! I disagree with people who say that HIV research is too slow. What is with diabetes mellitus type one ? It is common since 1921 (i think ) and today we have NOTHING to cure this terrible disease. I would say diabetes research is dramatically slow, hiv research is moderate. And what with other autoimmunities, like multiple sclerosis, chron a.o. ? But still : i think global research have to go faster (not so long experimental phases, rather quick swich to clinical trials). I know, this could be risky, but without risk there is no progress. Am i wrong?

Thank you for your time and your opinion.

BEST regards and GOOD luck !

Marko

Hi Marko,

Thank you for your post and thoughts. I agree, HIV research has progressed at a pace and success that is faster and more productive than in many other areas of medicine. These successes aren't perfect, but represent an unprecedented collaboration between government, private sector, universities and most importantly, clinical trials volunteers.

This shouldn't make us overlook the considerable overlooked needs, a preventive or curative vaccine are tops on my list. Furthermore, IMHO, equally innovative approaches are needed to bring the medications and knowledge about HIV medical care to the tens of millions of patients (and millions of healthcare providers) around the world who currently can't access them.

But you're also correct that it would be equally great to see such progress for other aspects of health (and I'd add world peace, religious tolerance, hunger and poverty to my wish lists)--

Be well, BY

WHEN SHOULD TREATMENT START?
Conversion from synthetics to natural supplements