Atripla and Sulfameth

Hi Doc: I have been on med 12 months (Atripla and Sulfameth[&TMP]). VL has been undetectable (was 60000 to 100000 since 06'), CD4 does not change much though, staying around 500 (was 290-390). mid 40. Can you explain the effect of Sulfameth? Should I drop it? My doc said I may drop it 6 months ago, but now he said I might as well keep it. Only side effect is drowsiness when taking both (I only take Sulfameth 3 times a week, one tablet each time). Thank you for answering.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Sounds like you have had an excellent response to therapy. At this point there is no need to keep the trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole (aka Bactrim). Sometimes it can cause some effects on your bone marrow (lowering of the white blood count) or cause rashes (especially if you go out in the sun).

Find out from your doctor if there are any other reasons he/she may want to keep it..such as recurrent urine infections or staph infections of the skin.

Best,

Joe

Srating therapy for the 1st time
H1N1 Vaccination or not