Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Srating therapy for the 1st time
Jul 30, 2009

Hi, I am getting ready to start an HIV therapy for the first time.. And I dont like the choices thast my doctors are telling me I have. I have asked questions in regards to taking Atripla and they are kind of against it but I wanted someone else's opinion as well before I have a final conversation about my other choices. I wanted to know what the best regimen was/is for afirst timer and if Atripla is actually a better start off choice.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question.

For some people Atripla may not be the best treatment. Some possible reasons may be: 1) If your virus has any resistance to any part of the Atripla. Resistant virus can be transmitted when you first became infected even before you start meds. 2) if you have any significant kidney problems since one of the components (tenofovir) would have to have its dose changed or avoided in some circumstances. 3) Another issue which is less cleacut than the above, is that many people experience some disturbing dreams or have neuro-psychiatric side effects when they start Atripla (specifically the efavirenz part of it). People who have had difficulty with depression or mental illness may find this a hard medicine to tolerate.

You should discuss these issues with your doctor and see if an alternative may be better.

Hope all goes well,

Joe

Previous
Dentist Who Specializes in HIV
Next
Atripla and Sulfameth

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.