Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Use of oral aloe vera juice & spirulina
Jul 13, 1998

I have recently decided to try alternative treatments for my hiv infection before I try any current prescription drug therapy. I understand that once I start on anti-viral drugs, I will become dependent and will HAVE to stay on them the rest of my life and wish to try something (anything!) else first. I am in the borderline area (of t-cell and viral load counts) that is suggested to beginning the drug therapies.

I was recently told about aloe vear juice (oral ingestion-not topical) and spirulina. I am unable to locate any information reguarding these two substances from the NIH or of any personal experiences from any hiv infected individuals.

What is your advice? Do you consider them safe or harmful for HIV infected individuals?

Also, do you know of any internet sites to locate use of these substances in hiv individuals. The only internet sites I find are of the promotional type and I am more interested in personal opinions and experiences.

thank you.

Response from Dr. Murphy

Dear Friend,

Someone is feeding you a big line of BS. Sounds like you are not ready for antiviral treatment. When you are ready to commit to taking lots of drugs for many many years, and prolonging your life and improving your damaged immune system, then start antiviral therapy.

Good luck. Try not to waste your money or delude yourself. We don't have all the answers, but one thing for sure, the stuff you are talking about is junk.

RM

Previous
Concerned internet user
Next
getting rid of nail fungus

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.