Hiv, Chrons and Steroids

Hi, I thought I would give this a second shot. I have been HIV+ for nearly 20 years and I have Chron's. My CD4 counts are around 1100 and I am undetectable on Kaletra monotherapy. My Chron's is uncontrolled. I would like to know what the issues are around taking low dose Methylorednisolone, 2 mg BID vs a 4mg Medrol pack once a month. There is just nothing in the literature about this and when I see my HIV specialist there is no time to discuss it.

Hello and thanks for your post.

There isn't a whole lot of literature on this subject, but given your undetectable HIV viral load and high CD4 count, the use of corticosteroids to treat your Crohn's disease (if necessary, as it sounds) should be ok.

If I were your doctor, I'd be sure to monitor your overall health and be mindful of the possibility that the steroids might decrease your immune function somewhat, perhaps with an increased risk of developing minor issues, such as thrush (oral yeast infection).

Sorry your HIV doctor doesn't appear to have time for the question; I'd try to interject the question at the next opportunity. At the least, discuss this with your gastroenterologist- and have the GI doctor contact the HIV doctor- sometimes the direct doctor-to-doctor conversation has a greater effect.

Stay in touch and feel free to contact us here at TheBody.com anytime.

BY

Do not be fooled !
hair loss problem