hiv in older patients

someone who is hiv in their 50's--can they expect to live into their 70's

Response from Dr. McGowan

The short answer is yes. Survival with HIV has been steadily improving since we have developed more effective therapy in the mid-1990s. While there is still a slightly higher risk of dying after several years of infection, that gap is getting smaller and smaller each year. Improved survival with HIV is linked with taking meds to keep the virus suppressed and getting your CD4 cell count up (above 500 if possible). Every year the trends show longer life expectancy. I would recommend that you take your meds and plan for a healthy future.

Best, Joe

cd4 drop
Add a single med to my existing combo?