What to do?

I am seeing a hiv specialist & my cd4 count is 274 & viral load is 27,000. Just found out 1 month ago & he says to take it month by month blood tests. He says best to stay off medication as long as you can, he says I might go 1 year before I need to start medication. How do you feel about this???? Also, he said something about resistance issue to Atripla....so what other type of medication is he liable to put me on???? Thanks!

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question.

Since your CD4 count is below 350, there does not seem to be much advantage to wait any longer. If you have been infected with an Atripla resistant virus there are options for you including treatment with protease inhibitors and (recently approved) integrase inhibitors. The best regimen would be determined by the type of resistance found in your virus. If you are ready to start treatment you should discuss it with your doctor.

Best, Joe

Bi-Sexual
cd4 drop