Bi-Sexual

I am positive and bi-sexual. I am on treatment from last 2 and 1/2 month. My current regimen is working on me. Presently I dont have any other HIV related disease. I am married and have two kids.(they are negative). I have not told my doctor that I am bi-sexual the only reason is my wife will leave me if she find that. I am sure I got HIV from male as I have not done sex with any female other than my wife.

Do you think I have to tell my doctor about my bi-sexuality? Is that going to help for my treatment(may be in future)? How confidential it will be? My wife use to see all my reports? I am not from USA and hence while going back to my own country I am going to take hard copy of all the reports/medical history with me? Does any of this document will have my bi-sexuality noted(If I tell my doctor)?

I am sorry for so many questions but I am realy very worried as I dont want to loose my family as well as get right treatment hence these series of questions.

Thanks for your time.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question.

The important issue here is not whether you are bisexual or not. All that is needed is that your sexual contacts be informed that they have been with a person who has now found out that he has HIV. It is possible that one of your partners has HIV and may not know it. The only way we are going to get ahead of this epidemic is to be sure that everyone who has HIV or may be exposed gets tested. Has your wife been tested for HIV? That would be very important, if she is positive than the children will also need to be tested.

Copies of blood tests would not reveal your sexual orientation. Doctors notes may contain that information. You would need to make sure that the notes were given only to the doctors who will be providing treatment to you.

Best, Joe

Dying of Aids
What to do?