Low Viral load but high abnormal proteins.

Thank you for the support, I 37, I was diagnosed with HIV 10 years ago. My vl is 5300 , cd4 500 and I have never been on treatment, but my body is constantly fatigued and in pain. I have a severe neck pain, seen specialists from a neurologist to a rheumatologist to a hematologistamong many other. MRIs and bone scans show normal. Blood work and urine tests show high abnormal proteins. Recently, I developed a heavy skin rash on both arms. Is it fair to say that these symptoms are HIV related? Would you say I start on treatment? If so, what is the best treatment therapy, especially if am trying to get pregnant? Please help.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question.

The high proteins are a common finding with HIV. These represent abnormal regulation of antibody production due to imbalance of the immune system from HIV infection. Rarely these changes can be due to a condition called Multiple Myeloma, this can be looked into by your doctor with a blood and urine test.

If you are of African heritage, having protein in the urine may be a sign of HIV associated Nephropathy and would be an indication for treatment with HAART, regardless of your CD4 count.

Having HIV in the blood for years may certainly cause symtoms such as fatigue and sweats and swollen glands. Starting HIV treatment to see if it can lessen these symptoms may be a reasonable consideration. Since you have never been on treatment you are likely to have many good treatment options to choose from depending on their dosing/pill size and your lifestyle. You should discuss these with your doctor.

Best,

Joe

Low free testosterone
confused