11 month old baby

Dr. Joe, my 11 month old baby has had a throat infection, fever (100.6) and a running noise for about 3 weeks now. The pediatrician just gave him Amoxicillin for 10 days, and this is his day 6th now. (He is doing a little better) I've also had swolen glands for the past three weeks. I've done the DNA by PCR test and the HIV-1 Abs tests twice and both times negative at 2 months after exposure (I repeated my last tests when I had my swolen glands) My question is about my baby: 1) Should I do the DNA by PCR and HIV-1 Abs tests on him? Is there anything I need to know before getting the tests for him? I'm worried because I breastfeed for a week after the exposure, and then I stopped when I read it can be transmitted via breastmilk. Any suggestion I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you very much

Response from Dr. McGowan

I am sorry to hear your baby is not well. Hopefully he is feeling better by now.

There is no reason to do an HIV test on him. If your HIV ab and PCR have been negative (especially since the PCR was negative 2 months after the exposure, which was 7 weeks after you breastfed) there is no risk to him from your exposure.

I would continue to refrain from breastfeeding and have a follow-up HIV antibody test for yourself at 3 months and 6 months after the exposure. If that is negative, then there is no need for further testing and no need to do another PCR unless you develop symptoms (such as fever, rash, swollen glands).

Best,

Joe

H1N1 flu
very low cd4 count