The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

11 month old baby

Jul 22, 2009

Dr. Joe, my 11 month old baby has had a throat infection, fever (100.6) and a running noise for about 3 weeks now. The pediatrician just gave him Amoxicillin for 10 days, and this is his day 6th now. (He is doing a little better) I've also had swolen glands for the past three weeks. I've done the DNA by PCR test and the HIV-1 Abs tests twice and both times negative at 2 months after exposure (I repeated my last tests when I had my swolen glands) My question is about my baby: 1) Should I do the DNA by PCR and HIV-1 Abs tests on him? Is there anything I need to know before getting the tests for him? I'm worried because I breastfeed for a week after the exposure, and then I stopped when I read it can be transmitted via breastmilk. Any suggestion I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you very much

Response from Dr. McGowan

I am sorry to hear your baby is not well. Hopefully he is feeling better by now.

There is no reason to do an HIV test on him. If your HIV ab and PCR have been negative (especially since the PCR was negative 2 months after the exposure, which was 7 weeks after you breastfed) there is no risk to him from your exposure.

I would continue to refrain from breastfeeding and have a follow-up HIV antibody test for yourself at 3 months and 6 months after the exposure. If that is negative, then there is no need for further testing and no need to do another PCR unless you develop symptoms (such as fever, rash, swollen glands).



H1N1 flu
very low cd4 count

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint