Saline splash in eye

I was flushing the IV of an HIV patient. I met resistence and the flush came off the IV lock and splashed saline and a I THINK a drop may have gone in my eye. I have been started on PEP but am very scared. Don't think any blood was even involved. What are chances of contacting HIV?

Response from Dr. McGowan

You describe a fairly low risk exposure. Another factor would be the viral level in the blood of the patient. A low or undetectable level would lower the risk further. Mucous membrane exposures are lower risk than exposures through skin breaks. It sis prudent to consider prophylaxis in this type of exposure to lower a small risk to an even smaller one.

Best,

Joe

Recently Diagnosed with HIV
H1N1 flu