Saline splash in eye
Jul 21, 2009
I was flushing the IV of an HIV patient. I met resistence and the flush came off the IV lock and splashed saline and a I THINK a drop may have gone in my eye. I have been started on PEP but am very scared. Don't think any blood was even involved. What are chances of contacting HIV?
Response from Dr. McGowan
You describe a fairly low risk exposure. Another factor would be the viral level in the blood of the patient. A low or undetectable level would lower the risk further. Mucous membrane exposures are lower risk than exposures through skin breaks. It sis prudent to consider prophylaxis in this type of exposure to lower a small risk to an even smaller one.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- What Is The Risk Of Getting HIV From Cut On Hand?
- Is Fever A Symptom Of Acute HIV Infection?
- White Bumps On Penis Worried It Could Be AIDS
- Burning Penis After Unprotected Anal Sex Without Ejaculation Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Penis Discharge After Licking Genital Worried I Have HIV
- Thrush After Oral Sex With No Protection Does It Mean I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.