"Vivid" dreams 2yrs after Atripla start.

On Atripla since March, 07. Never missed a dose. ALWAYS take on empty stomach and don't eat until 2-3 hrs. later. (I take at 6AM upon awakening) Not much side-effects.... I'm not a crybaby pt; went through aggressive chemo/mono-clonal antibodies for stage IV cent.nerv.syst. non-Hodgkin's lymphoma 2 yrs. ago, then a yr of pegylated Interferon/ribavirin for HepC (which cleared) my question is the vivid dreams are quite regular 3-4X a week, since I started HAART, is this normal?? Dr. said he doesn't know and that I ought to have died a long time ago. The dreams are'nt nightmares per se, just really colorful and long, but i do sort of dread them, especially lately (last 3 mos) when about half the "dreams" start coming true. Really creepy! Is one of the Atripla drugs the likely culprit? I've finished the interferon/ribavirin therapy 2 mos. ago and hoped the dreams would end too, but they didn't. Thank you for your advice!

Response from Dr. McGowan

"Vivid" dreams are a common side effect of efavirenz, which is part of Atripla. Many people still have this effect for years into the treatment. If the dreams are very disturbing or keep you from getting rest, then an alternative may be needed. You are doing many of the things to lessen the effect (such as taking it on an empty stomach). Speak to your health care provider about what alternatives might be available for you.

Best, Joe

Meds in Serbia
Recently Diagnosed with HIV