Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Everyone I know is on Atripla????Why aren't I????
Jul 17, 2009

For convience I would love to be on Atripla. My case-worker asked why am I not on Atripla. I live a busy lifestyle work full-time, and do out-reach medical coverage for athletic events. Currently I am on Prezista (PI) Norvir, and Truvada (NRTI). Always have good numbers, my undetectable viral load has never spiked, and my CD4's vary high 400's to low 800's.

My %'s are always good and my doc see's no cause for concern when they drop. It seems all new infections they are RX'ed Atripla. When I was diagnosed I came down with Encephalitis, was put on Kaletra (great CNS penetration). Now my ? if my #'s are good should I stay on my current regimin, or switch for convenience? Thanks in advance

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question.

Switches of treatment for simplification or side effects can often be done if the viral load is undetectable. To see if you are a candidate there are a couple of things that you will need to discuss with your doctor: 1) Was a resistance test done before you started meds...this is important because sometimes resistant virus can be spread (NNRTIs, which are part of Atripla are particularly effected); 2) why was the Kaletra switched to Prezista (if it was for convenience and not due to viral breakthrough which could compromise the truvada [which is also part of Atripla] than it might be OK to switch); 3) Would the central nervous system side effects that might be seen with Atripla be a major concern for you?

If these issues are discussed, it may be a reasonable switch for you.

Best, Joe

Previous
Should I start meds?
Next
Re: Starting Isentress In A Few Days

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.