Should I start meds?

I tested positive in October 2008 for HIV. I have never been sick not even a simple cold for over four to five years. However I have tracked my CD4 and VL three times since testing positive.

11/08 CD4= 338 VL 66,000 01/09 CD4= 449 VL 33,000 06/09 CD4= 473 VL 74,000

Before giving blood on 06/09 I was given my last of three Hepatitis A & B vaccine.

I have never taken any kind of medication and am afraid of forgetting to take the meds for the HIV.

What would you recommend?

Response from Dr. McGowan

I would not fear treatment. There is no urgency to start now since your CD4 has gone above 350, but I would prepare to start meds. There is growing evidence that the benefit of earlier treatment would outweigh the risks. I am glad that you are a bit worried. The people who do best are the ones who are thoughtful and take the commitment seriously. There are tools you can use such as a pre-filled pill box or reminder beepers to stay on top of your meds. With time it will become part of your daily routine.

Good luck,

Joe

Any updates on Isentress?
Everyone I know is on Atripla????Why aren't I????