Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Should I start meds?
Jul 17, 2009

I tested positive in October 2008 for HIV. I have never been sick not even a simple cold for over four to five years. However I have tracked my CD4 and VL three times since testing positive.

11/08 CD4= 338 VL 66,000 01/09 CD4= 449 VL 33,000 06/09 CD4= 473 VL 74,000

Before giving blood on 06/09 I was given my last of three Hepatitis A & B vaccine.

I have never taken any kind of medication and am afraid of forgetting to take the meds for the HIV.

What would you recommend?

Response from Dr. McGowan

I would not fear treatment. There is no urgency to start now since your CD4 has gone above 350, but I would prepare to start meds. There is growing evidence that the benefit of earlier treatment would outweigh the risks. I am glad that you are a bit worried. The people who do best are the ones who are thoughtful and take the commitment seriously. There are tools you can use such as a pre-filled pill box or reminder beepers to stay on top of your meds. With time it will become part of your daily routine.

Good luck,

Joe

Previous
Any updates on Isentress?
Next
Everyone I know is on Atripla????Why aren't I????

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.