My drugs may be failing

I'm currently in a trial with the TMC trial wich includeds truvada. At my last lab test, my viral load went up to 600,000 after being undetectable or over a year. I only fear having to change to older drugs that may cause body shape changes. It it normal for a VL to jump so high even with 100 percent compliance?

Hi and thank you for your post.

A viral load that goes from undetectable to 600,000 is quite worrisome. Either it's a lab error (this does happen from time to time), or in an adherent patient, an indicator of possible treatment failure.

I'd worry first about confirming whether the test is correct or not-- if true, then getting a resistance test (genotype at least, we get both genotypes and phenotypes in our patients here in Colorado) is the next step.

Here's hoping that your viral load is really undetectable.

BY

Switching from Kaletra/Truvada to Norvir/Reyataz/Truvada
new to Fort Worth,TX