Switching from Kaletra/Truvada to Norvir/Reyataz/Truvada

Remember my post from 6 feb? Tomorrow my gf finally switches from Kaletra to Norvir/Reyataz. The doctor said her eyes might be a little yellow sometimes. Where does this come from? What other side effects can she expect?

Greetings,

G. The Netherlands

Hello G,

Thanks for your follow up. The yellowing of the eyes that your GF's doctor refers to is a side effect of the atazanavir (Reyataz). It's usually not a big issue, not of medical significant (other than the cosmetic appearance), but occurs in 3-5% of individuals on boosted 'taz. Staying hydrated can help, and we've found that the symptom (if it occurs) decreases in severity after the first couple of weeks.

If the side effect is significant or undesirable, we'll consider using either fosamprenavir (Lexiva, Telzir) or darunavir (Prezista). If I'm not mistaken, the former is approved for use in the EU for patients like your girlfriend.

Best of health to the both of you, BY

monoclonal protein
My drugs may be failing