Having problems with Atripla after a year

Hi Dr,

I have been on Atripla for year, my viral load is undetectable, my t cell numbers have hovered around 300, recently 270. What has been troubling is that I have been having pretty severe anxiety and depression, including thoughts of suicide. I have also been having increased crazy dreams and dizzyness, the dreams remind me of the ones I had when I first started Atripla, but went away after a couple weeks. Can it be that for some reason the sustiva in the Atripla is starting to cause these symptoms after months of things being ok? I have had a history of anxiety/depression, but never bad enough to warrant going on medication for it, and have never had thoughts of suicide, when I have had these symptoms, they have come out of the blue, no outside life issues prompting them. Any advice?

Hi and thanks for your post.

Sounds like you should be talking to your doctor about your symptoms. While I'm not sure to what extent the efavirenz part of your Atripla is contributing, it's reasonable to suspect.

We'll try to consider alternatives to efavirenz in patients with significant mental health issues; you don't really fall into this category. Nevertheless, in patients like you, who are having worsening mood problems, we have switched off of efavirenz to alternative medications (protease inhibitors usually, but more recently to raltegravir). Any switch should be done with a good understanding of your health and possible drug resistance background (but with an undetectable viral load, resistance is pretty unlikely).

I hope this helps, write us back and let us know how things are going.

BY

When you throw up medications
Questions