I would like to have a baby.

I would like to have a baby. This is something I started talking to my doctor about. When we started the talks I was on Epivir/Videx/Sustiva. I have been on this combination for five years and my CD4 is 475 and VL <50. When I told him I had a possible sperm donor he took me off of Sustiva and perscribed Viread. I had done some research and found that Viread and Videx are not recommended together and called him back to see what I needed to do, if anything. He instructed me to stop the Videx as well and just take the Epivir and Viread.

Is this a good combination for a baby? Is this a good combination to keep me undetectable? How long do I need to be on these meds before I can try to inseminate?

I would really like to get this right to not hurt myself of my (hopefully) future baby.

Thanks, Mother to Be (hopefully)

Hello and thanks for your post.

I hope that you've misunderstood your doctor; but based on some of the details that you've listed I'm concerned about his experience and qualifications.

First, it would be highly unusual to combine tenofovir (Viread) and ddI (Videx) in a first-line patient-- there is indeed increased risk of serious toxicity. Such use would cause me to question the quality of the decision making.

Next, and this is really serious, you should never be prescribed a two NRTI regimen (ie, Viread and 3TC-(Epivir)), especially if you're contemplating pregnancy.

Where do you live? Do you have access to a local AIDS service organization (ASO; check out ASOfinder.com)? I'd really suggest asking for a second opinion.

BY

WHY AM I STILL DETECTABLE AFTER 16 WEEKS ???
New question