Combivir prescribed for 7 days

dear Doc,

I am 30yo male, that had a risk sex incident/expositium. My condon broke when i was having sex with a non-know HIV status female..

8hrs after the incidente i start to take twice day Combivir. But the doctor that i visited prescribe it only for 7 days.. i was in searching information in some forums and it seems the normal is 28days for this drug..

Is this prescription (7days) efficient? (i am at day 5 now..)

Meanwhile i went to test myself and result is HIV negative at moment.

I am having some side effects that i will tolerate for sure.

Waiting for yours vallue opinion, regards,

Thanks

regards,

MG

Hello MG,

Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) is not prescribed for 7 days, but as you've noted, standard procedure is to treat for 28 days.

I'd contact your doctor to get a prescription to cover the additional days. Also, don't forget, that just because your taking PEP doesn't mean that you shouldn't get follow up medical and laboratory testing- we usually will see PEP patients at 1, 3 and 6 months after exposure.

Best of luck and be well, BY

Atripla resistance
Side effects of Atripla