Just starting meds

Hi, infected and diagnosed 3 months ago...my CD4 count is at 500, my viral load >500,000...normal high viral load for new infections i hear. I decided to start meds earlier than later after weighing the pros and cons. I'm on Atripla and isentress. My doctor is hopeful i can wean off isentress after my viral load comes down. Is this normal to be on 2 different meds initially and how soon can i expect my viral load to come down? Also can i enjoy 2-3 glasses of wine, 2-3 times a week while on these meds? Thanks for your help!!!!

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question.

Many HIV treaters are moving in your direction of treating HIV earlier in the course of the infection with the hope that the immune system can be protected. Your doctor's approach is a new version of an "induction and maintanence" approach that is likely to work very well. You are on 2 medications (raltegravir and efavirenz) that have been shown to decrease the viral load very rapidly. Actually you are on 4 meds (since Atripla contains 3) and will simplify to 3 fully active meds (Atripla alone) after some time. We always like to have 3 active meds on board to fully suppress all the virus in your body. Whether or not the intensive Induction period will add anything is not known but as long as you tolerate it you should be OK.

It would be important to check to be sure that a resistance test was done before the meds were started to be sure that your virus did not carry any resistance to Atripla before you simplify the treatment.

Wishing you the best, Joe

Changing meds
RE:About my labs