Changing meds

Hi, I have been on Truvada + Nevirparine for a year now and it's worked well, my viral load is undetectable and cd4 is about 550 now. I have recently arrived in Indonesia to visit friends where I used to work for one year and I'd like to work here again, however Truvada is unavailable here. They have a generic version of Nevirparine and a generic version of combivir which maybe I could switch to. My question is whether it's safe to swap, or is there any way to get Truvada sent to me from anywhere? I'm from England and have spoken to the Terrance Higgins Trust there and they said they wouldn't recommend sending them. I've looked online for ways to get it sent to me but i'm unsure if the website i've visited are genuine or reliable. Also do generic versions of meds work the same?

Keep up all the great work with the site. Many thanks

Response from Dr. McGowan

I am glad you are getting on with your life.

I will throw this question out to anyone who may be able to help.

Some of my patients have family who will ship meds to them overseas, is that an option for you?

I know that the reliability of some generics can be very variable and may not be reliable. One other concern would be interruptions in your viramune which may place yo at risk for a drug reaction (called "hypersensitivity"- a rash and liver inflammmation) especially since your CD4 count is high now.

Best, Joe

Decrease CD4 count and increase %CD4
Just starting meds