Is My Treatment Failing?

Hello...

I have come here before for answers to questions and I was satisfied with the response. Here is my question, I started atripla with a CD4 count of 323 and V/L of 50,000 since March 06, 2009 and I have been 100% adherent. However, I responded great because my current CD4 is 574 and V/L is 647, but lately, my lymph nodes in my groin and neck are feeling tender and are swollen, as well, I have periodic low grade fevers. What could be the reason for this? I am schedule to see my ID doc on July 01 for another sets of lab. Should I be concerned and go before?

Thanks for your response.

I feel great

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question.

Swollen, tender lymph nodes are not signs of a failing treatment regimen. These are usually signs of some inflammation in the body. It can be seen with certain infections. Since your CD4 count was not very low when you started your treatment some of the infections that can cause swollen glands with low CD4 count (such as MAI) would be much less likely. Most of these effects can be due to viral infections such as EBV or herpes simplex (especially the groin nodes), rarely tuberculosis or lymphoma (but usually a person would be more sick than you sound. You should mention the nodes to your doctor if they persist and decsribe any other symptoms you may have such as fevers, weight loss, sweats, rashes, etc. If these nodes are a sign that your immune system is fighting back against HIV or another infection, that is a good sign even if the nodes do get uncomfortable. It will be the next step to find out what the body is reacting against.

Best, Joe

Combivir and Sustiva vs Atripla
SGPT is 3