Getting up early to work and Atripla

So I'm about to start taking Atripla as my first med. I feel quite "ready" for the occasion. There is one concern I have, on top of the "usual" side effects that might be experienced in the first few weeks: my work schedule is sometimes erratic and on occasion I would have to get up very early (4-5am) to go to work. Since it's recommended to take Atripla before going to bed, do you see any problem with having to get up and go to work, on occasion (not every night), after having only a few hours of sleep? Would you answer change if my job involved opperating dangerous machinery? Thank's for any tip you may have..

Response from Dr. McGowan

Good luck on starting your new treatment. I am glad you are ready to get going.

It is hard to predict how any single person may react to any medication. While many (most) people will have some central nervous system side effects with Atripla (dizziness, vivid dreams, etc), for many it is very mild and for a few it can be quite intense. For the most part the effects fade over time in the first few weeks even if they are tough in the beginning. Taking it on an empty stomach can help. Best to start it on a weekend, or before a day off to see what the effects would be (especially if you have to operate dangerous machinery or can't afford to be even slightly off the mark for work). The early mornings may be worse especially in the beginning, try to take it earlier the night before if possible on those evenings. The medication is flexible enough to allow a few hours early/late to accommodate cahnges in schedule.

Best, Joe

Genewize
Neviramune